When an individual experiences skin rashes after eating or directly handling mushrooms, there is likelihood that he/she is allergic to them. Since mushrooms might be added to certain dishes, it poses as a risk to a highly sensitive individual especially while eating out.
It is important to note that mushrooms are part of the fungus family and capable of triggering the symptoms of mold allergy such as skin rashes. The individual should stop eating mushrooms if rashes always occur and set an appointment with a doctor so that proper testing can be carried out.
Is my reaction linked to mold allergy?
If the individual is allergic to mold, the body is overreacting upon inhalation of the mold spores. When it comes to mold allergy, it is commonly linked to allergic rhinitis or hay fever and quite common during the summer and autumn season.
The mold spores are invisible and easily spread by the wind. When the individual inhales the mold spores, the immune system responds by triggering an attack by producing antibodies. These antibodies instigate the generation of histamine by the mast cells. Take note that histamine is responsible for triggering the inflammation in the soft tissues including the skin.
Mushrooms and mold
Mushrooms are considered as high-risk foods for those who have mold allergy since they contain mold spores that are capable of triggering an allergic reaction. The individual must avoid eating mushrooms, dried fruit, cheeses and pickled products if he/she has been diagnosed with mold allergy. In addition, some individuals even end up with a reaction such as skin rashes after touching a mushroom.
Types of skin rashes
An individual with mold allergy can experience the common skin reactions after eating mushrooms such as eczema, hives and generalized itchiness. These skin rashes can develop in any part of the body, but usually on the face or area that surrounds the mouth.
When it comes to allergic contact dermatitis, it is a condition that triggers rashes after being exposed to the allergen. The area that was exposed to the allergen becomes itchy, inflamed and swollen.
Management of skin rashes
The skin rashes from mold allergy can be managed by avoiding direct handling of mushrooms as well as ensuring that the house is free from molds. In case skin rashes develop, you can provide the individual with an oral antihistamine and dab on hydrocortisone cream on the affected area.
When managing allergic contact dermatitis, you have to initially wash the affected area using water and soap to eliminate any lingering residue from mushroom.