Accidental soap poisoning

Fact Checked

Accidental soap poisoning can arise after exposure to soap products. If inhaled or swallowed, it can cause detrimental symptoms. If an individual is suspected with poisoning, call for emergency assistance right away.

What are the indications?

The symptoms of soap poisoning are based on the product, type of exposure and amount. The usual signs include:

  • If soap enters the eyes, there might be vision loss or difficulty focusing since the chemicals can burn the eyes
  • If the skin was exposed, it can cause irritation, miniature holes or burns on the upper skin layer
  • If the fumes of a soap product were inhaled, it can cause difficulty breathing or swelling in the throat.

In case the soap was ingested, it can trigger pain or swelling in the throat as well as the lips and tongue. The individual might vomit repeatedly or vomit blood. In some cases, there is abdominal pain or blood-streaked stool.

Accidental soap poisoning
If the fumes of a soap product were inhaled, it can cause difficulty breathing or swelling in the throat.

Management of accidental soap poisoning

The treatment for soap poisoning is based on the type of exposure to the product. Generally, the doctor will check the vital signs including the temperature, pulse, breathing and blood pressure.

The commonly used treatment options for soap poisoning might include:

  • Pain medications
  • Oxygen
  • Insertion of a breathing tube
  • Intravenous fluids
  • Removal of any burned skin
  • Irrigation or flushing of the skin repeatedly
  • Bronchoscopy
  • Endoscopy

Remember that poisoning can be dangerous. It is vital to seek treatment right away to prevent any serious complications including tissue death and brain damage.

Quick Note / Disclaimer

The material posted on this page on accidental soap poisoning is for learning and educational purposes only. To learn to recognize the signs and how it is managed, register for a first aid and CPR course with Victoria First Aid.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The information posted on this page is for educational purposes only.
If you need medical advice or help with a diagnosis contact a medical professional

  • All content is reviewed by a medical professional and / sourced to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.

  • We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable websites, academic research institutions and medical articles.

  • If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please contact us through our contact us page.