Mold can trigger detrimental effects to our health. It can enter the body in various ways via wounds, foods and even inhaling air. Take note that mold also release mycotoxins which are poisons that can trigger various health issues ranging from sinus inflammation, headaches and even serious conditions including cancer.
Most respiratory ailments are triggered by the inhalation of the spores in a moldy or flooded environment, farms or construction sites.
Generally, inhalation of the spores causes sinus irritation and respiratory illness with coughing, wheezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and headache. Oftentimes, a serious ailment can develop, specifically farmer’s lung which is caused by varieties that thrive in hay, silos or stored grain.
Digestive issues caused by mold
The digestive issues are often due to the consumption of food that has been contaminated by mold. Take note that this is not limited to the visible mold but also includes mycotoxins that are invisible to the naked eye.
The mycotoxins can trigger illness and even death in both animals and humans. Corn is one the foods that are typically contaminated by mycotoxins. Nevertheless, the mycotoxins are also present in peanuts, grains and alcohol. The usual digestive issues that might arise include:
Exposure to mold has been associated to neurological ailments in humans. The signs might include muscle spasms, hyperirritability, blindness and even stupor.
It is important to note that ergot is a mycotoxin present in breads and generated by indoor variants specifically Stachybotrys chartarum. If neurologic or convulsive ergotism develops, it is characterized by seizures, muscle spasms and hallucinations.
More Information / Disclaimer
The information posted on this page on health issues caused by mold is for learning purposes only. Learn to recognize the signs of conditions triggered by exposure to the spores by taking a standard first aid course with Victoria First Aid.